- INTRODUCTION -
The department of oral medicine and radiology is an integral part of the VK Institute of Dental Sciences. We offer Undergraduate and Postgraduate training in Oral Medicine and Oral radiology section. We are equipped with the latest teaching facilities and infrastructure for basic and advanced training and research activities in the field of Oral Medicine, oral radiology and allied sciences.
The department has qualified and experienced teachers. We have a rich collection of teaching resources in the form of books, journals, library dissertation, dissertations, and seminars and patient registry of special cases. Internet facility can be availed in the department by PG’s & staff.
Postgraduate trainees receive training in dental and medical hospital and the cancer institute for diagnostic & therapeutic radiology.
The staff & students participate in CDE’s and conferences at International, National, State & Local level.
The faculty and postgraduate students are involved in various research projects. We take pride in our achievements (curricular/extracurricular), publications (International national, state and local) and presentations. The efficient working of the department is very well reflected in annual UG & PG success rates.
- HISTORY -
The Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology took its birth with the inauguration of this college about 18 years back in a small area with a few dental chairs. The Radiology department also was in its infant stage. Within a few years, there was a rapid growth in the dept with
- A separate undergraduate section, a separate postgraduate section
- Seminar rooms
- The Radiology Department with two Intra Oral Dental X-Ray machines and two Dental chairs and units and two Orthopantomograph
During its initial years, the Department grew the growth of the department was under the guidance of Dr.S.S.Degwekar, Dr.Kausar Khwaja, Dr. Aspee Surveyor, and Dr.Shailesh Bhutala. After a long time, the department had a full-fledged Professor and H.O.D, Dr.A.L.Bhoweer and Reader Dr.Basavaraj Kallalli.
The first postgraduate programme started in 1993, with 3 postgraduate students, under the able guidance of Dr.A.L.Bhoweer, Professor, H. O. D. which was subsequently nurtured by Dr. R.Krishnappa to attain present status.
Various clinical studies have been conducted in the department and a number of researches programmes are going on in both Radiology and Medicine.
In 1997 Oct, the entire department was shifted to even bigger premises in the present building, with all required amenities. The department has a good number of qualified and experienced Teaching and support staff.
Today the department has digitalized system of radiography in form of RVG & Orthopantomograph computers facility with the internet is present for routine use to maintain a record and scientific update. The staff undertakes PowerPoint classes and discussion and so also the Postgraduate students do their presentation.
The department is all set to be paperless and filmless, the first of its kind among various dental colleges.
The Department of Oral Medicine & Radiology is the first department where the patient visits in any dental institution. Based on history & radiographic examination, Patients are diagnosed, referred & are even treated with the non-surgical line of treatment for various orofacial disorders.
- Milestones of Department -
- The inception of Department – 1985
- The inception of UG teaching – 1988
- The inception of PG teaching – 1993 (03 candidates KUD)
- The inception of PG teaching – 1998 Affiliated to RGUHS (02 candidates)
- Increase in P.G. seat (03 candidates) – 2002
- Acquisition of deemed status – 2006
- PG Teaching (Deemed University) – 2006 (03 candidates)
The department possesses a separate U.G. & P.G. section along with a separate radiology section & a seminar hall.
- ORAL MEDICINE & RADIOLOGY POST GRADUATE PROGRAM (M.D.S) -
The Oral Medicine and Radiology program is a continuous full time 3 year Master in Dental Surgery (MDS) program that is recognized by the Dental Council of India. The program provides extensive training in both clinical Oral Medicine and Radiology and research methodology.
Oral Medicine and Radiology specialists require considerable knowledge in the basic health sciences and must be able to apply this knowledge to the clinical management of orofacial diseases. A deep understanding of the instruments, procedures and techniques used in the diagnosis of all oral diseases and a broad knowledge of treatment planning is also essential.
Clinical training focuses on the non-surgical management of disease including pharmacotherapy, physical therapy, the use of oral appliances, and behavioral counseling . The clinical and didactic portions of the program are designed to provide extensive training in the diagnosis and management of:
- Temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD), Nerve and neurosensory disorders (including burning mouth syndrome, oral and facial neuropathic pain, and trigeminal neuralgia), Chronic orofacial pain (including psychosocial aspects of pain management), TMJ disorders, Diseases/conditions affecting the oral mucosa (including aphthous stomatitis. lichen planus, vesiculobullous oral diseases, and allergic/hypersensitivity reactions), oral dysplasias and other premalignant changes of the oral cavity, Salivary gland dysfunction, Oral complications of cancer therapies (including chemotherapy and radiation)
As a part of their Oral Radiology training students will be able to
- Prescribe, make or supervise the use of conventional and advanced imaging modalities in the oral and maxillofacial region.
- Be able to determine appropriate imaging techniques based on clinical exam and medical/dental histories.
- Conduct research related to oral and maxillofacial radiology.
- Interpret radiographs and other diagnostic images. Serve as a consultant on oral and maxillofacial imaging problems in both medicine and dentistry.
In the first year, clinical training primarily takes place in Oral Medicine and Radiology clinic at VK Institute of Dental Sciences. Clinical rotations in the second year include rotations in Belgaum Cancer center. Students also complete medical rotations in Dermatology, General Medicine, and Otolaryngology and Medical Radiology at KLES Dr Prabhakar Kore hospital in Belagavi
All students receive training in research methodology, literature assessment, and biostatistics. All students are required to select an area of interest and complete a Master’s thesis under the guidance of a faculty research committee. As a part of their training program students have to participate and present a stipulated number of seminars, journal club presentations and specialty and interdisciplinary case presentations (Clinicopathologic meets)
Our past graduates have used these skills to pursue careers in academic dentistry as clinicians, researchers, and educators and in private practices in oral medicine and/or the management of medically complex patients.
THRUST AREAS FOR RESEARCH:
- Belgaum falls in the tobacco growing belt of the country. Tobacco and areca nut related oral mucosal lesions are widely prevalent. Thrust areas for research include detection/screening of tobacco-induced mucosal lesions, treatment using allopathic and research in plant-based treatments. The department maintains a registry of tobacco users who have reported to the dental college for various complaints for over 15 years.
- Chronic orofacial pain: Patients reporting with chronic orofacial pain are offered counseling and treatment. A multidisciplinary approach to treatment in practice with the involvement of specialties namely Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Prosthodontics and Orthodontics.
- FACULTY -
Dr. Anjana Bagewadi, MDS
22 years 9 months
Dr. Vaishali Keluskar, MDS
Professor & Head
21 years 6 months
Dr Arvind Shetti, MDS
19 years 1 month
Dr. Zameera Naik, MDS
16 years 3 months
Dr. Vasanti Jirge, MDS
11 years 7 months
Dr. Shivayogi Charantimath, MDS
11 years 7 months
Dr. Namratha Patil, MDS
5 years 2 months
Dr. Daneshwari Koshti, MDS
4 years 8 months
Dr. Kajal Bengeri, MDS
4 years 8 months
- TREATMENTS RENDERED -
- Clinical Examination (without Radiograph)
- Patient examination with Radiograph
- intraoral and extraoral radiography h
- Tooth Vitality test
- Tobacco deaddiction Counseling
- Vital Staining
- Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation treatment
- Medical management of tobacco-induced oral mucosal Pathologies, chronic orofacial pain, immune-mediated oral mucosal lesions and other mucosal pathologies in the oral cavity, medical management of salivary gland diseases, Temporomandibular joint disorders.
DEPARTMENT OF ORAL MEDICINE & RADIOLOGY – LIST OF EQUIPMENTS
The Indian Academy of Oral Medicine and Radiology hosted a National conference at Udaipur on 23rd, 24th and 25th Nov 2018.
The conference was attended by Dr. Anjana Bagewadi, Dr. Vaishali Keluskar, Dr. Arvind Shetti and Dr. Vasanti Jirge.
Dr Anjana and Dr Vaishali conducted a faculty Development program on 23rd Nov 2018. Dr. Anjana and Dr Vasanti chaired scientific sessions and Dr. Vaishali judged the poster presentations. Dr. Vasanti Jirge also made a scientific paper presentation. The faculty actively participated in scientific deliberations.
The department received many accolades:
- Best community service award in recognition of the enduring commitment to health services.
- Best Dissertation Award: Dr. Harpreet Kaur Gandhole
Guide: Dr. Vasanti Jirge
- Best Essay Award:
- Faculty category: Dr. Vaishali Keluskar
- Clinician category: Dr. Harpreet Kaur Gandhole
- PG Category:
– Dr. Lidiya Thomas
– Dr. Roshani Mamadapur
– Dr. Prabhavati Wadeyar